Everything I Needed to Know I Learned from Sesame Street

Now I think we all know that on the scale of zero to really cares about what other people think I fall somewhat right of center (which may be the only scale I'm on the right side of).  I have no problem shucking my boots and trying on ski pants right in the middle of Peaked.  Or exclaiming loudly in public.  Or generally making a fool out of myself.  Most of the time I think people are a little too uptight and could use some loosening up and I'm happy to provide them with that comic relief (often at my own expense).

However, when it comes to the approval of my family and friends my Valedictorian of Everything tends to take over and I like to keep everything buttoned up and in place least I not win with them.  Yet, this path I've chosen.  Or rather been called to walk is one of open hearted vulnerability.  I can't very well ask people to go upside or reveal their insides to me if I'm not doing that in my own life.  What a hypocrite I'd be if I told someone else to buck and be themselves with their family if I wasn't walking the talk.

But walking the talk is hard Internet.  It's hard to fully put yourself out there especially to the ones you desperately care about.  Even harder still when you know they aren't going to approve.  That you aren't always going to win.  Then slather on top a layer of, "we're southern and don't really talk about our feelings," and well I'd rather just keep my boots, and coats, and gloves, and hat on thank you very much.  Nothing to see here.  Nothing to reveal at all.  I'm fine.  I may be burning up but I'm fine.

Except I can't do that anymore.  I can't have two selves.  Can't have the me I am around certain people and then the me I am around others.  And yes I've been doing that for as long as I've lived.  When I was younger it was the straight A student versus the party girl.  Now it's the good little tow the line girl versus the eat raw do yoga have a nontraditional job girl.

I can't wear all that anymore.  As my dear friend B said, "It's time to come out."  To shed the self that isn't serving me anymore.  To stand in my light even when it's hard.  Even when those I love don't understand or approve.  Because ultimately what we are called to do in the this life is to be the best version of ourselves.  To be what God made us to be.  And as much as this might pain my family, I'm fairly certain I was made to be a girl who does yoga, talks about her feelings, and has one too many tattoos.  It's just who I am.

So, I'm here...I'm queer yogic, veganish, a therapist, mostly a democrat, and probably lots of other things you don't approve of.  Get used to it.

I have.

Love,
Sara

PS-It helps if you play this video on repeat as loud as you can...

No comments:

Post a Comment