What is it that the Road to Hell is Paved with Again?


"Watch your thoughts, they become words.  Watch your words, they become your actions.  Watch your actions, they become habits.  Watch your habits, they become character.  Watch your character, it becomes your destiny." -Frank Outlaw

A very wise woman told me before I left for this great adventure that I needed to get really clear about my intention for the year.  She went even further by adding that I should remind myself of whatever it is I decide daily.  Being the slightly hard headed girl that I am, I sort of blew off that last part.

Yes, I wrote down my goals, did a practice, said a prayer.  But then I slipped them in the front of my journal and got on with the business of immersing myself in my new city.  Which has included staying out waaaay too late, eating more than my fair share of flour and sugar, blowing off yoga one too many times, and distracting myself with new friends.  Those darn trees.

Which is not at all my intention lemme tell yah.  Kinda hard to gracefully float into handstand when yesterday's pizza is hanging out on your hips.  And forget about quieting your mind when all you can think about is that stupid thing you did last night at the Wolf.  And who can practice when your phone is blowing up with come hiking with me messages.

I feel a bit like Arjuna these days.  But I don't wanna practice.  I don't wanna eat raw.  I don't wanna get up at the crack of dawn and bend like a pretzel.  It's too hard.  I can't.  I'm scared.  Then I hear the voices of my teachers, my friends, God saying, "Sara get off your butt and do your duty.  Fight already.  It's what you were made for."

I mean, what a punk I would be if I squandered this amazing opportunity on cheap thrills.  But it's what we are naturally programed to do, right?  Take the easy path.  Go for the immediate gratification instead of the long distance haul.

It's hard to stand firm sometimes.  To say no.  To leave the party early. Which is why this practice-yoga, prayer, good community, good food-is so important.  It pulls us out of those patterns.  It chips away at the muck that prevents us from being fully committed to our duty.  It helps us say no to those things that draw us off the path.  It helps us live our best lives so that road is paved with gold instead of good intentions.

Do your actions align with your intentions?  Are you becoming who you want to be?  Or do you need to stand up and fight already?

Love you dearly, 
Sara

P.S. Because it's so easy to get pulled off the path I'm taking my wise friend's advice.  I'm turning to the front page of my journal and reminding myself why I'm here and I'm telling you so you can hold me to it!
  1. To make a positive impact on the community here...good friends, good yoga, good times!
  2. To deepen my yoga practice...arm balances you are mine!
  3. To tweak my eating habits...more green, more raw!
  4. To find my husband...
Ok,well maybe not that last one, even though I was told numerous times that was in store for me here. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment