With Our Powers Combined

Gulp.  Err, hi everyone.  Sorry about the silence.  It's just taken me a few days to find my feet since being completely knocked outta my socks by the out pouring of love I received on that last post.

Seriously, I am blown away by everyone's kind emails, messages, FaceBook posts, and comments.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.  It really does take a village to raise a child, and only because I have one of the most amazing villages surrounding me was I able to radically transform myself.

I'm also saddened a little because it shows just how much the, "love and take care of your body," message is missing in our culture.  How we beat ourselves up.  Struggle against who we are.  Are disconnected.  Discouraged.  Disheartened.  Dull.

I never would have thought that all the events of my life would converge and I, big/fat/unathletic/ me, would be becoming an "expert" and inspiration for healthy, well living.  But it seems to be where my life is heading.

Sara McKeown, Licensed Professional Counselor and Wellness Coach.

I know this because of you.  Because you had the courage to tell me that what I wrote resonated with you.  Because you shined my light back to me.  And frankly that's a little intimidating because you guys have such big, amazing hearts.  And seeing that reflected back to me blinded me.  Makes me question whether I really do know what I'm talking about, if I can be a Wellness Coach, if I have anything to offer.  Because really me?  Are you sure, God?

It calls into mind that Marianne Williamson quote everyone knows, "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.  Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.  It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.  We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?"

And that Internet is currently where I'm stuck.  I am terrified of stepping out of my comfort zone, hanging up a shingle, and taking the risk of sharing my knowledge.  Of being brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous.  Because what if no one listens?  What if people point and laugh and make fun of me?  What if I fall on my face?  What if I hurt someone?  What if I hurt myself?

But the quote goes on, "Actually, who are you not to be?  You are a child of God.  Your playing small does not serve the world.  There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.  We are all meant to shine, as children do.  We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us.  It is not just in some of us; it is in everyone.  And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.  As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."

So, I keep trying to shine.  I call the Idaho Board and get the ball rolling on my license.  I buy a domain name.  Write programs.  Drink my green smoothies.  Commit to what it is that I'm called to do.  Even when it's scary.  Even when it's hard.

Because ultimately I want all you guys to shine, to be liberated.  And I can't do that if I'm not practicing what I preach.  We're all in this together after all.  And when we shine I imagine it's like the Care Bear stare, darkness doesn't stand a chance in the face of our radiant hearts.

So stop playing small.  Take a risk.  Shine your light.  Because you never know when your light will light someone else up.

It sure has given me the courage I needed.

I love you and am so incredibly grateful for your beautiful hearts.
XO,
Sara

PS-I would like to send a huge shout out to my lovely friend Dara who just took a giant, bright, shiny step by quitting her day job to teach yoga full time.  If you live in Columbia, SC please check her out!

No comments:

Post a Comment